Open Access Subscription AccessTotal views : 590
A Study on the Reading Habits of Branch Libraries in Cuddalore District, Tamilnadu
Reading has been and still a powerful means of communication. It can form part of an individual to the extent that it becomes a habit which once developed becomes very difficult to change. This paper discusses the result of a study based on the reading habits of the branch public libraries in Cuddalore District, Tamilnadu. The focus of this study is upon reading habits of the users of the branch libraries in Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu. It identifies the purpose of reading books of the respondents. It also aims to identify the respondents' preferred time, subject, and language and time spent on reading. The result of the present study revealed that a majority of the respondents' reading motives are for getting the information. The result of the present study revealed that a large majority of the respondents spent 3-4 hours daily. The result of the present study revealed that a majority of the respondents prefer Tamil as the language for reading. Some measures have been suggested for improving reading habits.
Branch Library, Information, Library, Reading Habits.
- Fisher, A. (2001). Meta cognitive Skills and Reading. Handbook of Reading Research. New York: Longman.
- Green. (2001). Testing Reading Comprehension of Theoretical Discourse with Cloze. Journal of Research in Reading, 24(1): 82-98.
- Gallo, D. (2007). Reading Interests and Habits of Connecticut Students in Grades Four through Twelve. The Reading Matrix. 2(3).
- Grellet, F. (1987). Developing Reading Skills - A Practice Guide to Reading Comprehension Exercises. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Guthrie, J.T.; Bennett, L. and McGough, K. (2007). Concept- Oriented Reading Instruction: An Integrated Curriculum to Develop Motivations and Strategies for Reading. Retrieved on 29th June, 2007.
- Kar, P.K. (1996). Users reading habits and satisfaction in public libraries: A sociological exploration in some select towns of Orissa. Indian Journal of Information, Library and Society, 9(3-4): 240-245.
- Khaiser and Ramesh. (1991). Factors inhibiting the public library use. In Education through public libraries: A practical approach. Proceedings of the national seminar on Public Library Movement, April 19-21 in Madras, edited by C. Palanivelu and K. S. Raghavan, p. 332-343. Madras: Directorate of Public Libraries.
- Orasanu, J. (1982). Reading Comprehension: from Research to Practice. Hillsdale (NJ): Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Ramaraj Urs, R. (1984). Survey of the reading habits of the clientele of public library system of rural district of Bangalore. ILA Bulletin, 20(1-2): 14-20.
- Ross, B. (1982). Reading Interests for 10th, 11th and 12th Grade Students. M. Ed. Thesis. Keen College of New Jersey.
- Schofer. (1981). Reading Preferences of British and American Children. Reading Improvement, 18(2): 127-131.
- Smith, F. (1982). Understanding Reading. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Tanuskodi, S. (2011). Reading Habits among Library and Information Science Students of Annamalai University: A Survey. International Journal of Education Science, 3(2): 79-83.
- There are currently no refbacks.