Open Access Subscription AccessTotal views : 911
A Journey of Rural Library Movement in India: Retrospect and Prospects
Traces the history of rural library movement in India. Discusses the major landmarks, which have made the history of rural library movement. States the present scenario of public library movement, efforts for development of rural libraries in context of library legislation, role of national and state level library associations and valuable contributions of Dr. S R Ranganathan and other devoted professionals to give impetus to public library movement at grass root level in Indian states. Emphasizes the importance of some notable documents which deserve special attention from the point of view of future planning of rural library network in the entire country. Concludes that a time bound strategy is the need of hour for stimulating readings and spread of library consciousness in rural areas. This can be done through setting up RLCRCs in Indian villages so that desired information of the villagers may be provided with in short time locally. Therefore, each State government must pass the library legislation to ensure the rural public library services in their respective areas.
Public Libraries, Library Movement, Rural Libraries, Library Legislation.
- Ranganathan (S R). Five Laws of Library Science. Madras, Madras Library Association, 1931.
- Library development plan: Thirty years programmes for India with a draft library bills for the union and the constituent states. Delhi, University of Delhi, 1950.
- Kaula (P N). Ed. Library movement in India: Papers for discussions at the first Delhi Library conference, 30- 31 March 1957. Delhi, Delhi Library Association.
- Venkatappaiah (V). Indian Library Legislation: State library bills and acts. 2 Vols. Delhi, Daya Publishing, 1990.
- Ravi (N), Ed. The Hindu speaks on Libraries. Madras, Madras Library Association, 1992.
- Vashishth (C P) and Gakhar (A P). Ed. Souvenir of 39th All India library conference held at Department of Public Libraries, Government of Karnataka, Bangalore, 7-10 January 1994. Delhi, Indian Library Association, 1994.
- Kumar (P S G). Model library act of Dr. Velaga. In C P Vashishth et al, Eds. New horizons in library and information science: Dr. Velaga Venkatappaiah festschrift. Madras, T R Publication, 1994, p282-285.
- Ed. Indian Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science. Vol.2. New Delhi, S. Chand & Company Ltd. 2002, p127-158.
- Sunil Kumar. Rural Library and Community Resource Centres (RLCRCs) in India with special reference to states having library legislation: Problems and prospects. Gwalior, Jiwaji University, 2003. (Unpublished Ph. D. Thesis)
- Vashishth (C P). Road map to Delhi Library Association. In C P Vashishth and M P Satija, Eds. Library and information profession in India: Reflections and redemptions, festschrift in honour of Dr. P S G Kumar.Vol. 1, Part I. Delhi, B R Publications, 2004, p204-215.
- Gautam (J N) and Sunil Kumar. Community information sources and library services for rural people. In B RameshBabu and S Gopalakrishan, Eds. Information, Communication, Library and Community development: Festschrift in honour of Professor C P Vashishth. Vol. 2. Delhi, B R Publications, 2004, p411-422.
- There are currently no refbacks.